Monday, July 14, 2014

Taking Monotheism Seriously





We believe in one God.


Do we take these powerful words that begin the Nicene Creed for granted? Do we see a belief in many gods as the error of our ancient ancestors or, perhaps, of an unsophisticated primitive people who hadn't yet been touched by modern wisdom? As we progressed to belief in one God, we assume our monotheism is natural and logical.

Belief in many gods, in my opinion, would make perfect sense. There is sky; there are storms issuing from it. There is growth, food, war, sickness, death. There are tribes, mine and others. Intuitively, walking on this earth, I would assume there is some sort of controlling force for each of these categories. Why wouldn't I worship the sun? It provides me with everything I need. Or the earth? Or the sea? If I am at war with my neighbors, I would rely on my tribal god to give me protection and victory.

My old philosophy professor liked to refer to the “genius” the Jewish people had for religion. Their ability to discern a single God among all these “forces” was nothing short of miraculous. They had, however, a tough time holding to their beliefs when confronted by stronger, richer, more beautiful neighbors who believed otherwise. These struggles are what make the Old Testament such engrossing reading. What new failing will the people of God succumb to? How many more times will the one God forgive and renew them?

With only one God in their lives, they had no other to turn to. They were stuck with YHWH. The psalms are full of  the frustration people felt when God seemed to fail them as well as with their praises when they saw God’s greatness. But the story of this one God took a very odd turn. God began to urge his people to offer salvation to all the peoples.

In Isaiah 49:6, God tells the Israel, “It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved Israel. I will make you a light for the nations that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”   
 
Monotheism has a catch, you see. If the one God created the whole world, then that God belongs to the whole world. And the whole world belongs to God. No exceptions. If the one God made all creation, that has to include even the people I despise, the storms that destroy my crops and the cancer cells that take my friend's life. If God is taking care of my wealthy, lucky neighbor, that care must somehow also extend to my other credit-poor, alcoholic neighbor.

But there’s more. If those genius Jews of thousands of years ago found the one God through grace, prayer, struggle, then other groups likely found God through the same means. The Jewish God might not look very much like the Hindu pantheon, for example, but can we seriously believe that God abandoned any people who earnestly sought God’s truth? Whose side is God on? The (un)comfortable answer is: everyone's.

To believe in one God forces us to respect all faiths. Did God create some people to be blessed with wisdom and salvation and others to be cursed with ignorance and damnation? Was God laughing at Socrates for owing a “cock to Asclepius?” Does God smile proudly at my church and roll his eyes at a mosque? At a synagogue?

If there were any question that the one God, creator of the universe, loved and cared for all creation, the Incarnation of Jesus Christ must end all doubts.

Christianity is a universal religion. This means that it is intended for everyone. We pray daily that Christ’s gospel be proclaimed worldwide, that those who do not know him may be brought to “the knowledge and love” of him. This is the purpose of the church. But we are imperfect creatures. At times we succeed; at times we fail.

Spreading the Good News is important work. It is an act of love, just as Christ’s life was an act of love. As was his death. To be in Christ is to share in that love and to work to share it with others. But Christ’s redemption of creation happens with or without our efforts.

The one God became incarnate to share in our humanity, not in our tribal identity, not in our nationality or in our race, not even in our refined liturgies. If you are human, you share in this Incarnation. Period. In Romans 9, Paul quotes Hosea, “Those who were not ‘my people’ I will call ‘my people’ and her who was not ‘my beloved’ I will call ‘my beloved’”. This could not be any plainer.

We don our monotheism as casually as we pocket our mobile phones and head off to our air conditioned offices, but monotheism has implications.

1     1. There are no false Gods. A person (like me, for example) might have an imperfect understanding of God. A person might be un-lettered or naive, but a worshipper is a worshipper. A seeker of God will find God.

     2. If there is one God; that one God created the Universe.
     3. The one God loves all of us. Equally.

     4.  If the one God has a purpose and a plan for creation, we are all part of it.
  
    5. The stories we tell and have told about God are stories that have come from God, yes, but they have also from us. All our stories are just a bit flawed and just a bit perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment