Monday, August 19, 2013

The Blessed Company of All Faithful People






I've been a member of my current church for almost 20 years now. Because of moving around, this is the longest I've ever been with a particular parish. My longevity here has tried me in many ways, a few of which have been unexpected.

It’s predictable that a priest might move on and the parish will be disrupted by a series of interim priests and the search for a permanent replacement. It’s also a given that the music director, faith formation director and parish secretary will change. It was an effort, but I managed to stay neutral on these transitions.

I am not a friendly person. I don’t have friends, or not many. Long friendships tend to frighten me and I can feel crowded very easily. Seeing the same people week after week at church gives me comfort though. I recognize their faith and love them as souls. We smile at each other, pass the peace, chat about the weather or that sweet new Jensen baby.

Occasionally, I will be part of a group and get to know some of my fellow parishioners a bit better. There will be some discussion at Sunday forum and some talk afterwards. Twenty years of this and I find myself with much deeper connections than I had planned. Then comes the hard part.

Betty’s husband dies. I only met him once but I know Betty very well having served on a peace committee together. I attend the funeral. She is strong. A year or two later Jerry’s wife is found to have a serious tissue disease. He is afraid. I am, too. They love each other so much. The world will break if he loses her.

Marion’s husband dies. I’ve met him many times. They attend Stations of the Cross all through Lent as I do. We have a bond, a Lenten bond. Next year she’ll be coming alone. Then Randy dies. It’s sudden. He’s another member of our peace committee and organized a care package project for our troops in Iraq. I loved and admired him. Of course, I never told him. Maybe I gave him a bigger smile one Sunday. I hope so.

Jim and Stella have been at this parish since its founding almost 50 years ago. Both very active and vocal at church and on all committees, they are now old and frail. He cannot come to church anymore and I think it's a matter of days before she will no longer join us on Sunday morning. How can I bear this! My clever plan of never having to face loss by never having close friends has failed. Church has opened me up. It has worn away all my hardness. How did this happen?

I look around church and see the empty spaces. I look at people who are growing older, who are now limping, whose hands have begun to shake and it feels like a knife to my heart. How many more can I lose? These people, who 20 years ago were just pleasant faces and kindly handshakes, have become necessary to me.

But there’s a bonus. That sweet Jensen baby from several paragraphs above and 12 years ago is now about to be confirmed. She is a force of nature in our parish, participates in every Christmas pageant, every possible youth activity and wrote a magnificent blog on a recent trip to the Holy Land. My many years at this church have taken precious ones from me but have also brought new fresh blessings.

If you belong to a church, I have to warn you that certain things will happen to you. You might think you’re there for the liturgy, the sacraments, the music, or even the homilies, but you are in for a lot more than that. God does some crazy stuff with his faithful people. The Spirit moves when you aren't looking and when you look into the ancient face of one or the tiny baby face of another, you just might see the face of Christ looking back at you. No turning back then.


No comments:

Post a Comment