Monday, May 26, 2014

Anniversary



Today marks my 52nd post. Realizing that there were three posts in one week recently, for Julian of Norwich, I am nevertheless counting today as my one year anniversary of blogging.

A year ago I dreamt that I was preaching on Nicollet Mall. Actually dreamt. Actually preaching. Not even using notes. Nicollet Mall is a pedestrian corridor through a shopping/eating section of downtown Minneapolis and I have seen people preaching there. People always walk calmly by neither berating nor supporting the preacher. This was the case in my dream as well. Minnesotans are famously polite, or maybe just indifferent.



In any case, the dream stayed with me for months and this blog is the result. No, I don’t think God was telling me to start a blog. I think I was telling myself that I had some thoughts I needed to share. After some months of praying, I moved forward with “The Parishioner.” In real life, only one person knows about this blog. It’s our little secret: you, me, my spiritual director and God.

Heartfelt thanks to all who have read my posts. Whether you are a regular or occasional reader, I very much appreciate your attention. Traffic on this blog has been modest, I think, compared with many sites. There might be ways to increase traffic, but I am reluctant to use any strategies. Of course, I do try to get better, be more direct and purposeful.

Because I don't feel equipped to contend over controversial topics, I never post anything even remotely juicy.  There was a time when I was politically active, obnoxiously so, but those days are gone. Although I still am sympathetic with many “causes”, I have a quieter life now.

Even with this tame blog, readership has increased steadily suggesting to me that I am reaching enough people to feel justified in continuing. So continue I shall. A year ago, I thought that if only 3 or 4 people read my posts that would be enough.

For the next few weeks, however, I will revisit four of my previous posts. I will re-post two reader favorites (based on page views) and two of my own favorites. Just to be contrary, I won’t be noting which is which.

I hope you enjoy re-reading the posts or, perhaps, just finding out which ones counts as favorites. Comments are, of course, welcome. Additionally, you can follow me on Twitter @the_parishioner. I will be on retreat for a few days at the end of May but will otherwise be available just about daily.


Be well; enjoy the improving weather, and live in the light of Christ. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how I ended up finding you on Twitter and reading your blog, but I am very thankful that both have happened and thankful for that dream prompting you to share your thoughts. I'm selfishly happy that you will continue to post, but I'm also glad because it means more insight to share with more people. Happy one year! Here's to many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trischa. Your faith and wisdom have inspired me so much over this past year. I'm very glad we found each other.

      Delete